“I come from a family where independence and perseverance are keys to success no matter your natural ability. So, there was no other choice than to believe in a bright future for myself.”
– Steph “The Hammer” Hammerman
I met Steph (Not ???????? Stephanie) earlier this year during an Adaptive Athlete “Wheelchair Gang” Seminar at MBFit in San Jose, California. I learned that Steph was born with a mild case aerobiccapacity.com of cerebral réalisation palsy (CP). CP is a result of the loss of oxygen to the brain causing it to affect motor skills. For Steph, certain messages sent from the brain to the rest of the body don’t connect as quickly. She is able to move around with crutches and uses a motorized wheelchair, allowing her to live completely independently.
Steph doesn’t make excuses, loves her independence, and is focused on defining the “wellness curve” for individuals with CP. During our first of six workouts this day, I learned that Steph’s limited range of motion was restricting her workout intensity. The second workout involved running. Yes, I made the Wheelchair Gang run!! Steph runs with the use of her crutches. Interestingly, Steph was able to get her heart rate easily above 180 beats/min during her 50m sprints. This insight is what started our collaboration. Steph asked me if I’d be willing to generate a running based progression that would have a traditional focus on cardiorespiratory fitness, endurance capacity, and muscular stamina. Steph’s motivation was gaining a better understanding how motor control and signal fatigue interact with cheap mlb jerseys these variables.
Yes, the below track workouts are challenging. Steph will attack one workout at a time and gradually build her knowledge, ability and confidence. We both recognize that we have lots of unanswered questions and Inside lots of unknowns. As a coach, discovery is the purpose of training.
Steph’s Track Workout Progression (2x/week)
12x40m in 55sec (27sec/20m) w/ 20m walking restDONE!! 3x80m (alternating 10m fast (target 11sec) cheap mlb jerseys & 10m walking) w/ 4min rest b/t setsDONE!! 100m in 2:15 (27sec/20m), 30m in 36sec (22sec/20m), 80m in 1:48 (27sec/20m), 20m in 22sec, 60m in 1:21 (27sec/20m), 20m in cheap mlb jerseys 22sec w/ 3min rest b/t all repsDONE!! 3x(4x40m) w/ 75sec rest and 4min rest b/t sets in 48sec (24sec/20m)DONE!!
- 4x40m in 44sec (22sec/20m) w/ full recovery
- 4x80m in 1:48 (27sec/20m), 2x80m in 1:42 (25sec/20m), 1x80m in 1:37 (24sec/20m) w/ 60sec rest b/t reps & 5min b/t sets
- 1x(120m in 2:26, 100m in 2:01, 100m in 2:01, 80m in 1:37) w/ 2min rest b/t reps. All paces at 24sec/20m
- 3x(3x60m in 1:13) w/ 90sec rest and 4min b/t sets. All paces at 24sec/20m
- 3x(120m in 2:51 (28sec/20m), 60m in 1:21 (27sec/20m), 60m in 1:13 (24sec/100m)) w/ 2min b/t reps & 4min b/t sets
- 2x60m in 1:21 (27sec/20m), 3x40m in 48 (24sec/20m) w/ 20m easy walk recovery
- 4x(40m in 48sec (24sec/20m), 20m walk, 20m sprint) w/ 4min rest b/t sets
- 3x(80m, 90sec rest, 40m) at 24sec/20m pace w/ 5min ESPN b/t sets.
- 240m (Alternate: 40m in 54sec (27sec/20m) & 20m walk), 3min rest, 1x80m (Alternate: 10m sprint/10m walk)
- 160m in 3:36 (27sec/20m), 100m in 2:01 (24sec/20m), 40m in 44sec (22sec/20m) w/ 5min rest b/t reps
- 6x(Alternate: 40m in 48sec wholesale nfl jerseys (24sec/20m) and 20m walk). No rest b/t sets
- 3x(80m, 80m) w/ 75sec rest and 5min b/t sets. All in 1:37 (24sec/20m).
- 2x(100m in 2:01 (24sec/20m), 10m walk, 40m sprint) w/ Sellers 5min rest b/t sets
- 3x(120m, 40m) at 24sec/20m pace w/ 75sec rest and 5min b/t sets
- 2x(60m in 1:13 (24sec/20m), 10m walk, 20m sprint) w/ 5min rest b/t sets
- 2x(120m, 90sec rest, 60m) at WE 24sec/20m pace w/ 7min rest b/t sets.